Terms and Conditions for the Longest Swim on the Longest Day
The Longest Swim on the Longest Day is a fundraising event for The Outdoor Swimming Society (OSS), run by OSS Trading, with 10% going to The Seagrass Project and 90% to The OSS (after costs).
The Outdoor Swimming Society is not able to assume legal responsibility to participants of The Longest Swim On The Longest Day. While we are always keen to share our passion for outdoor swimming, this is a virtual event with no safety cover and all swimmers must be solely responsible for making their own assessment as to the risks involved in any particular swim.
The Outdoor Swimming Society itself has no control or influence over the swims that swimmers choose to do as part of this virtual event, or on information shared on Facebook, using the OSS group or other groups, or the locations written about or featured in newsletters, the website.
The decision to participate in any swim must therefore be taken individually, and swimmers must not rely (in whole or in part) on views or information provided by The Outdoor Swimming Society and/or its members. If you are in any doubt about the safety of a swim or your ability to complete it, you should not take part.
Swimming outdoors heightens the risk of serious injury or harm. The risks of outdoor swimming include (but are not limited to) hypothermia, drowning, sickness from polluted water, injury from wildlife, other swimmers, debris on the water, objects in the water (either visible or hidden beneath the surface) and diving or jumping into shallow water. The ‘safety’ of locations varies with the weather, the abilities and knowledge of the swimmer and over time – rainfall can dramatically change the safety profile of a swim spot. More information on understanding water is available in the ‘Survive’ section of this website.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, each of:
- The Outdoor Swimming Society;
- each individual acting on behalf of The Outdoor Swimming Society; and
- any person involved in organising The Longest Swim on The Longest Day
exclude any liability for personal injury, death or other harm or loss to participants or to any other person or organisation as a result of their negligence.
By completing an entry into The Longest Swim on the Longest Day, you declare that you are capable of completing the swim(s) you have chosen to do as part of the event.
You understand that this is an unlifeguarded event and all swimmers swim at their own risk and you are solely responsible for keeping yourself safe.
You are also wholly responsible for any under 18s that you have signed up to the event, and it is recommended that in the water they have 1:1 adult supervision at all times.
Terms and Conditions
1. You must ensure that the details provided by you on registration or at any time are correct and complete. If you are under the age of 18 your legal guardian must complete your entry for you on your behalf and take full responsibility for your safety.
2. You must inform us immediately of any changes to the information that you provided when registering in order that we can communicate with you effectively.
3. You acknowledge that this is a virtual swim event and that neither The Outdoor Swimming Society nor OSS Trading Ltd will track or verify results or provide volunteers, marshals or medical personnel assistance to any entrant.
4. You declare that you agree to the declaration above. In broad terms, this is confirmation that you shall be, at the date of the event, fit to swim and that the details given are correct in all particulars. It is also an acceptance that, to the extent permitted by law, The Outdoor Swimming Society, and each individual acting on its behalf shall have no liability to you for any injury, loss or damage, nor any consequential loss or damage suffered by you at or by reason of their negligence in relation to the event. It means certifying that you are aware that swimming in untreated water can also lead to stomach upsets and diseases, such as salmonella and Weils disease, and that you understand you swim entirely at your own risk.
5. You will participate and complete your chosen swim in a manner chosen by you, at locations chosen by you and at your own risk. You must comply with all relevant statutes, contractual terms, safety announcements and venue regulations set out by your chosen venue whilst attending the event.
6. The price of the ticket shall be the price set at the time we accept your order. All prices set are inclusive of any applicable taxes. No order will be accepted until we have received full payment and all required information from you.
7. We reserve the right to make alterations to the published event programme where reasonably necessary.
Refunds and exchanges
8. Tickets are sold for the use by the original purchaser only (or those they enter on behalf of) and cannot be exchanged, deferred or refunded after purchase in any circumstances after the statutory 14 day cooling-off period.
9. If you are unable to attend the event or the event cannot take place on the agreed date (for example, without limitation, due to legal restrictions, poor weather conditions or other safety concerns), your ticket will not be refunded, but you will be invited to complete your swim at another time.
10. You may not re-sell or transfer your ticket. Re-sales and transfers of tickets are prohibited for this event: only the known registered ticket holders can attend the event.
11. Any ticket obtained in breach of these Terms and Conditions shall be void and all rights conferred or evidenced by such ticket shall be void.
12. Personal arrangements including travel, accommodation or hospitality relating to the event which have been arranged by you are at your own risk.
13. It is your responsibility to ascertain whether an event has been cancelled or rescheduled and the date of any rescheduled event. Where an event is cancelled or rescheduled, we will use our reasonable endeavours to notify you using the details you provided us with at the time of ordering. We do not guarantee that you will be informed of such cancellation before the date of the event.
Use of your personal information
15. You will be provided with the option to upload information about your swim(s) to the Longest Swim Logbook. This information will be visible to organisers and to all other entrants to the event, but not to the general public. If you do not wish your information to be shared in this way, you should not complete the Longest Swim Logbook when asked to do so.